New York News
Suspect in designer's death appears in court
NEW YORK -- The mother of a swimsuit designer found dead in a posh New York City hotel says she trusts "that justice will be done" after attending a court date for a songwriter's son, who is charged with murdering her daughter.
Sylvie Cachay's parents got their first look in court Tuesday at Nicholas Brooks. He said nothing and didn't look at anyone in the courtroom audience during the brief proceeding.
Antonio and Sylvia Cachay said they felt Brooks didn't care. His lawyer said Brooks didn't know the parents were there.
Sylvie Cachay's body was found in a bathtub on Dec. 9. Brooks has said he left her sleeping.
Brooks' lawyer says he may contest findings she died of strangulation and drowning.
Brooks' father is Academy Award-winning "You Light Up My Life" songwriter Joseph Brooks.
new york city, soho, crime, murder, sylvie cachay, new york news
- Missing 11-year-old Brooklyn boy possibly found 56 min ago
- AccuWeather: March roller coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- Metro-North worker fatally struck by train in NYC 53 min ago
- 4-year closure of Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp begins 40 min ago
- Search continues for missing plane; 2 flew on stolen passports 9 min ago
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- UWS street to be renamed after 4-year-old Ariel Russo
- NY-native bank robbery suspect nabbed after selfies
- UCONN sophomore accuses sorority sisters of hazing
- CT hockey referee arrested after removing child from ice
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Missing 11-year-old Brooklyn boy possibly...
56 min ago
- Search continues for missing plane; 2 flew...
9 min ago