New York News
Fire truck, van collide in deadly accident
STATEN ISLAND (WABC) -- A fire truck responding to a car fire collided with a van on Staten Island, killing one and injuring more than a dozen people.
The FDNY vehicle apparently had its lights on and collided with the van at Burgher Avenue and Richmond Road just before 12:15 p.m.
The force of the crash spun the van around and sent it careening onto the sidewalk.
A witness told the Staten Island Advance that the fire truck, from Ladder 81, had its siren on as it traveled down Richmond Road, toward the Staten Island Expressway.
The witness, Ali Alsaede, said the van turned left onto Richmond Road and the fire truck hit the van's rear driver-side door.
Nine people from the van were taken to a hospital, including the three critically injured. One person later died.
Six firefighters suffered minor injuries.
The FDNY vehicle, Ladder 81, was responding to a car fire at the time of the crash.
new york city, staten island, accident, fdny, new york news
- Autistic boy missing in Brooklyn 1 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction 51 min ago
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- Autopsies completed on 7 Utah babies
- Student suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- Judge threatens to duct tape defendant's mouth in murder trial
- No graduation selfies at Rhode Island college
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland
- Employees tied up, Car parts stolen in Elizabeth
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen 32 min ago
- Ferry captain arrested in South Korea after deadly accident
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen
32 min ago
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby...
51 min ago