New York News
Fire truck, van collide in deadly accident
STATEN ISLAND (WABC) -- A fire truck responding to a car fire collided with a van on Staten Island, killing one and injuring more than a dozen people.
The FDNY vehicle apparently had its lights on and collided with the van at Burgher Avenue and Richmond Road just before 12:15 p.m.
The force of the crash spun the van around and sent it careening onto the sidewalk.
A witness told the Staten Island Advance that the fire truck, from Ladder 81, had its siren on as it traveled down Richmond Road, toward the Staten Island Expressway.
The witness, Ali Alsaede, said the van turned left onto Richmond Road and the fire truck hit the van's rear driver-side door.
Nine people from the van were taken to a hospital, including the three critically injured. One person later died.
Six firefighters suffered minor injuries.
The FDNY vehicle, Ladder 81, was responding to a car fire at the time of the crash.
new york city, staten island, accident, fdny, new york news
- raw video: New video just after East Harlem Explosion
- AccuWeather: Cold, but milder 25 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Workers remove rubble in East Harlem 21 min ago
- East Harlem explosion: More on the victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- East Harlem Explosion: How to Help
- Photos: Several vehicles on fire in New Jersey 46 min ago
- Teen shot, apparently by brother, in Queens
- Long Island cab driver accused of exposing himself to girl
- Westchester animal shelter in danger of collapsing 5 min ago
- Woman steals Dorothy's ruby slippers from SI hotel 56 min ago
- Photos: Pictures from PHL after landing gear collapse
- Majority of debris removed from explosion...
6 min ago
- Residents displaced by explosion search for...
7 min ago
- Workers remove rubble in East Harlem
21 min ago
- Westchester animal shelter in danger of...
5 min ago