New York News
Fire truck, van collide in deadly accident
STATEN ISLAND (WABC) -- A fire truck responding to a car fire collided with a van on Staten Island, killing one and injuring more than a dozen people.
The FDNY vehicle apparently had its lights on and collided with the van at Burgher Avenue and Richmond Road just before 12:15 p.m.
The force of the crash spun the van around and sent it careening onto the sidewalk.
A witness told the Staten Island Advance that the fire truck, from Ladder 81, had its siren on as it traveled down Richmond Road, toward the Staten Island Expressway.
The witness, Ali Alsaede, said the van turned left onto Richmond Road and the fire truck hit the van's rear driver-side door.
Nine people from the van were taken to a hospital, including the three critically injured. One person later died.
Six firefighters suffered minor injuries.
The FDNY vehicle, Ladder 81, was responding to a car fire at the time of the crash.
new york city, staten island, accident, fdny, new york news
- Yonkers fire injures family of four 25 min ago
- AccuWeather: Still Some Slick Spots!
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Spring Valley police to announce arrest in Baby Angel case
- Residents warned to look out for black ice
- Avonte's mother continues search with new headquarters
- Local 7 line service resumes after signal problems 4 min ago
- Tourist who lost leg in taxi crash sues city
- Man struck and killed by car on LIE
- Pope Francis chosen Time's Person of Year 2 min ago
- World leaders bow, pray at Nelson Mandela's casket 33 min ago
- Photos: 4 injured in Yonkers fire
- Photos: Viewer snow storm pictures