New York News
Woman murdered after refusing to hand over purse
QUEENS VILLAGE NORTH (WABC) -- The victim's family is very distraught and fearful because the muggers are still on the loose.
One resident, who heard a single gunshot, went to his window to see the husband of 23-year old Rabia Mohammed standing over his wife.
"He was screaming 'Call help! Help! Help!" the resident explained.
The deadly confrontation took place on 204th Street in Queens Village North around 8:30 on Sunday night when three men confronted Rabie and her 29-year-old husband.
They demanded her purse, and police say she would not give it up. That's when one of the bandits shot her twice.
She died later at Jamaica Hospital.
"It's not worth it to lose your life over a purse," resident Donna Hines said.
Working with a metal detector, police combed through the grass at the scene looking for evidence on Monday, hoping perhaps to find a bullet casing.
Neighbors nearby like Maurice Sutton and others do say for the most part it is a safe neighborhood with very few problems.
"It is sad, very sad. Can't trust nobody, you know," Sutton said.
Another resident, who did want to give his name, believes these are the same three men who robbed him several weeks ago.
new york city, queens, queens village, mugging, shooting, new york news, tim fleischer
- Americans on board missing flight ID'd 37 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Mayor de Blasio continues to rally for universal Pre-K
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run
- Proposed teacher layoffs in Newark set off dispute 4 min ago
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Matt Harvey still predicting 2014 role
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Americans on board missing flight ID'd
37 min ago