New York News
Brooklyn man savagely attacked by group
WILLIAMSBURG (WABC) -- The fact that Barie Shortell, 29, survived a vicious attack is testament to his strength.
"I think the hardest thing is grappling with why it had to happen at all," Shortell said.
He speaks through temporary braces and bands that hold his teeth in place.
His face is still healing from the night of February 22.
He was walking home walking home from the train at 11:30 p.m. down a desolate side of Bedford Street in Williamsburg when six teenagers passed him.
"About five seconds later, I heard them say 'Is that a guy or a girl?' calling into question my sexuality," Shortell recalled.
He thought the comment was the end of it. It was only the beginning.
"And before I could even process that thought, I was attacked, and I don't recall how the attack went," Shortell said.
It went brutally, and viciously. A Good Samaritan helped him to safety. An ambulance got him to Woodhull hospital, where he spent ten hours in surgery.
"They fractured my jaw in two places front to back, my nose fractured in four places, my eye sockets were fractured," Shortell said.
Many friends, including Jason Baker, were there when he woke.
"It was really hard, at the same time I knew it could only get better, and that's exactly what's happened," Baker said.
Shortell and friends have become proactive, creating websites like 'Shortell's Response', Facebook pages and fundraisers to raise money for his $100,000 medical bill and to raise awareness against hate and violence.
"Everybody, regardless of sex I'd, gender, race, creed, should be able to walk home at night and not fear being attacked," friend Libby Eldelson said.
Police are still investigating the attack on Shortell. So far, no one's been arrested.
For More Information on how to donate:
new york city, williamsbridge, brooklyn, new york news, toni yates
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction 22 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire 39 min ago
- Autopsies completed on 7 Utah babies
- Student suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- Judge threatens to duct tape defendant's mouth in murder trial
- No graduation selfies at Rhode Island college
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland
- Employees tied up, Car parts stolen in Elizabeth
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen 3 min ago
- Ferry captain arrested in South Korea after deadly accident
- Weekend subway changes affecting 11 lines
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen
3 min ago
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby...
22 min ago