New York News
Three charged in newlywed mugging murder
QUEENS VILLAGE (WABC) -- Three teenagers wanted in connection with the fatal shooting of a woman who was trying to keep muggers from taking her cell phone full of her husband's romantic texts were nabbed after they were arrested on an unrelated robbery.
They have been arraigned on charges of two counts of second-degree murder, two counts of first-degree robbery, one count of second-degree robbery and two counts of second-degree criminal possession of a weapon.
According to the charges, Rabia Mohammed, 23, and her husband of five months were walking on 204th Street in Queens just after 8:30 p.m. on Sunday, March 13, 2011, when the three defendants came up behind the couple. They threw him to the ground and ordered her to "Give me the bag."
When she struggled to hold onto the purse and then screamed, police said Green displayed a .9mm silver pistol and fired one shot, fatally striking Ms. Mohammed in the chest.
Shazam Khan said his wife likely put up a fight because she cherished the texts on her phone.
The suspects were ordered held without bail and to return to court on March 25, 2011.
They face up to 25 years to life in prison if convicted
new york city, queens village, queens, arrest, murder, mugging, new york news
- Guinness drops St. Pat's Day parade sponsorship
- AccuWeather: Snow for some
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Cop shoots pit bull in Bronx apartment building
- 5-year-old struck and killed in Brooklyn 49 min ago
- Rubble cleared, East Harlem blast investigation ramps up
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Crimea parliament declares independence after vote
- Russian media warns of turning US into 'radioactive dust'
- Chris Brown kicked out of rehab, facing jail time 34 min ago
- Mega Millions jackpot jumps to $400 million 29 min ago
- Kenya's Geoffrey Mutai wins 2014 NYC Half
- Photos: 2014 NYC Half Marathon
- 5-year-old struck and killed in Brooklyn
49 min ago