New York News
Cop shoots knife-wielding man in the Bronx
BRONX (WABC) -- A police officer fatally shot a knife-wielding man in an apartment building early Monday.
Police say the officer, assigned to the 49th Precinct, arrived at the Rhinelander Avenue apartment building in the Morris Park section of the Bronx at 12:30 a.m., responding to a report of a dispute with a man with a knife.
He confronted 48-year-old Paul Goldreyer in a fifth-floor apartment and tried to get the suspect to surrender, but he refused.
Police say Goldreyer then lunged at the officer, who fired his weapon.
Goldreyer was hit multiple times, including once in the chest. He was pronounced dead at scene.
Neighbors believe he had a history of mental problems and may have been placed in the building by an agency assisting those trying to re-enter society.
Police say the incident began when Goldreyer threatened his roommate with with another knife. The roommate was unhurt.
The officer was not injured, but was treated for trauma.
new york city, bronx, police shooting, new york news
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold 38 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey 10 min ago
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital 13 min ago
- 6 dead, 290 missing in South Korea ferry disaster 35 min ago
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads 14 min ago
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Sketch released of suspect in East Village sex assault
- Teen clerk beaten in Astoria deli robbery; $30,000 stolen 38 min ago
- Camera catches Bronx home invaders using victim's card
- College Board provides a glimpse of new SAT
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
14 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold
38 min ago
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent...
13 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos