New York News
Second rider sues, says driver caused bus crash
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Accounts of the deadly tour bus crash in the Bronx are beginning to emerge with the first lawsuits filed by surviving victims.
Their versions of what happened on the bus conflict in various degrees.
From that of driver Ophadell Williams, whose attorney, in online reports, says his client lost control after swerving to avoid hitting a tractor trailer.
"Does your client bring into the picture, that truck? Did he see a truck?" asked Eyewitness News.
"No, no, in fact, he vehemently denies that there was any other involvement with a motor vehicle," said Gregory Cerchione, the victim's attorney.
The drivers' attorney told Eyewitness News, his client slept before his shift and on the bus while waiting for his passengers.
This was his normal run, he said.
Cerchione's client says he fell asleep during the trip but awoke several times when he felt the bus hit the rumble strips as it moved onto the roadway shoulder.
The attorney says his client spoke up when it happened a second time.
"At that point he actually yelled to the driver, 'Driver wake up!' and the bus then at that point traveled appropriately in the southbound lane," Cerchione said.
His client tells him the third time it happened, the bus then flipped on its side skidding along the breakdown lane and crashing into a sign station.
A large steel pole then ripped right through the center of the bus, killing 15 people.
"He was the first one out of the bus. The bus operator came out. The first thing my client said to him, 'Why did you kill all these people?' and in response to that the bus operator says, 'Didn't you see the tractor trailer?' he says, 'There was no tractor trailer'," Cerchione said.
The driver's attorney told Eyewitness News, "It's an accident, any way you look at it. A tragic one."
Jean Marie is demanding $200 million in damages. The other passenger who sued, 74-year-old Yuke Chue Lo, is asking for $20 million.
new york city, bronx, bus accident, lawsuit, new york news, tim fleischer
- Autistic boy missing in Brooklyn
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 2 dead after wreck on Southern State
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- Autopsies completed on 7 Utah babies
- Student suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- Judge threatens to duct tape defendant's mouth in murder trial
- No graduation selfies at Rhode Island college
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland
- Employees terrorized; car parts stolen in Elizabeth store
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen