New York News
Second rider sues, says driver caused bus crash
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Accounts of the deadly tour bus crash in the Bronx are beginning to emerge with the first lawsuits filed by surviving victims.
Their versions of what happened on the bus conflict in various degrees.
From that of driver Ophadell Williams, whose attorney, in online reports, says his client lost control after swerving to avoid hitting a tractor trailer.
"Does your client bring into the picture, that truck? Did he see a truck?" asked Eyewitness News.
"No, no, in fact, he vehemently denies that there was any other involvement with a motor vehicle," said Gregory Cerchione, the victim's attorney.
The drivers' attorney told Eyewitness News, his client slept before his shift and on the bus while waiting for his passengers.
This was his normal run, he said.
Cerchione's client says he fell asleep during the trip but awoke several times when he felt the bus hit the rumble strips as it moved onto the roadway shoulder.
The attorney says his client spoke up when it happened a second time.
"At that point he actually yelled to the driver, 'Driver wake up!' and the bus then at that point traveled appropriately in the southbound lane," Cerchione said.
His client tells him the third time it happened, the bus then flipped on its side skidding along the breakdown lane and crashing into a sign station.
A large steel pole then ripped right through the center of the bus, killing 15 people.
"He was the first one out of the bus. The bus operator came out. The first thing my client said to him, 'Why did you kill all these people?' and in response to that the bus operator says, 'Didn't you see the tractor trailer?' he says, 'There was no tractor trailer'," Cerchione said.
The driver's attorney told Eyewitness News, "It's an accident, any way you look at it. A tragic one."
Jean Marie is demanding $200 million in damages. The other passenger who sued, 74-year-old Yuke Chue Lo, is asking for $20 million.
new york city, bronx, bus accident, lawsuit, new york news, tim fleischer
- Bratton joins Sharpton at rally in Harlem 52 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rollercoaster weekend
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Queens hit and run leaves pedestrian dead
- Man found fatally stabbed in Williamsburg
- 15 injured after car drives through Trader Joe's
- Railroad Administration orders Metro-North to use 2 engineers
- Funeral for one of victims of Metro-North derailment 24 min ago
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- Wintry blast moves through much of country, heads East
- Secret Sales: Diamonds, pretzels and iPhone cases
- abcnews: North Korea Deports US War Vet Merrill Newman