New York News
Details emerge in Bronx police chase & shooting
MOTT HAVEN (WABC) -- A suspect trying into escape police hit numerous vehicles before crashing and then getting shot by police in the Bronx.
It happened just before midnight on Friday on the Major Deegan Expressway.
According to police, officers in a marked car tried to pull over a 1998 Ford Expedition for a headlight out near Prospect Avenue and East 163 Street.
The driver, Orlando Santos, 28, refused to pull over and sped onto the Major Deegan Expressway.
Witnesses say Santos was driving at a high rate of speed and hit as many as ten vehicles before crashing into a sanitation truck.
As officers approached the suspect's vehicle on foot, the suspect began driving forward and in reverse.
Police say it was a deliberate attempt to strike the officers.
Officers ordered the suspect the stop and exit the vehicle but he refused.
Officers discharged their weapons after the suspect continued to move his car again.
The suspect's vehicle then struck several others vehicles, one of which was pushed onto the highway divider. Several officers approached the vehicle a second time stating, "Police, get out of the car".
The suspect refused and again drove toward the officers, causing two of them to jump over a divider on the highway to avoid being struck.
Two other officers on the highway then discharged their firearms striking the suspect several times.
Santos was pronounced dead at the scene.
Santos had several prior arrests for drugs and guns. He was currently wanted on a drug warrant.
A passenger in the vehicle was arrested and remains in police custody but has yet to be charged.
Four other people suffered injuries.
new york city, bronx, mott haven, major deegan expressway, accident, police chase, police shooting, new york news
- AccuWeather: More snow Saturday 45 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Baruch College student dies in apparent frat ritual
- Fire burns through house in New Brunswick
- Woman twerking serves as lookout for alleged burglar
- Golden Globes nominations announced
- Newtown school shooting vigils planned for Thursday
- Mandela interpreter says he was hallucinating
- George Bush writes letter to Alabama kicker after big loss
- Software engineer teaches homeless man how to code
- Photos: New Brunswick, New Jersey house fire
- Photos: A look at Gracie Mansion
- AccuWeather: More snow Saturday
45 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos