New York News
Cold case investigation in the Bronx
RIVERDALE (WABC) -- An investigation into an old homicide led authorities to dig in a wooded area in the Bronx on Monday.
They began digging around 8:00 Monday morning along the Hudson River and near Palisade Avenue and Spaulding Lane in Riverdale.
A tip on an old homicide case, maybe a decade old, led investigators to the location inside Alder Brook Park.
Sources tell Eyewitness News that agents are looking for a body that may be buried here.
The unusual activity startled those who live nearby and frequently use this park.
"I mean, it's upsetting to find that there may be a body buried down there," Margie Gayton said.
Dogs brought in to help with the search apparently smelled something, but more than 5 hours of digging turned up nothing.
Agents taped off the park to visitors and suspended the search for the day.
new york city, bronx, riverdale, crime, investigation, new york news, sandra bookman
- AccuWeather: More snow Saturday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Baby it's cold outside! 27 min ago
- Charges expected in fraternity death
- Mega Millions hits $400M jackpot
- 2,500 Fordham University applicants misled by email 40 min ago
- Search for hit and run driver in fatal crash
- LIRR, NJT ban booze ahead of Santacon
- Nassau County police commissioner ousted
- Some from Newtown join vigil at National Cathedral
- Sandy victims turn year of loss into season of giving
- Golden Globes nominations announced