New York News
Suspected Holiday Bandit busted in Queens
QUEENS (WABC) -- The so-called "Holiday Bandit" was arrested in Queens Tuesday morning after police he struck again Monday in Edison, New Jersey.
His arrest comes some three months after his alleged crime spree began.
"The Holiday Bandit's three-month bank robbery spree has come to an end," FBI Assistant Director in Charge Janice Fedarcyk said."This should serve as a stark reminder to anyone who wishes to brandish a weapon, rob a bank, and put the lives of innocent civilians at risk: we will find you and bring you to justice."
Since December, Mikhaylich is suspected of robbing at least nine banks, most of them in the city.
Two robberies happened in New Jersey, including a Cathay bank branch in Edison on Monday.
City officers and the FBI arrested Mikhaylich in queens after a detective in the NYPD Real Time Crime Center used license plate reader technology to determine a car that the Edison bank robber had stolen had traveled to Queens.
"When he was taken into custody, he had in his possession a handgun used in the course of the robberies," Fedarcyk said.
Federal investigators say the Holiday Bandit made off with at least 80-thousand dollars, but add that sum could rise as their investigation continues. They believe he would have hit more banks had he not been arrested today.
new york city, queens, new jersey, bank robbery, new york news, sandra bookman
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park
- Missing autistic boy found in Brooklyn
- NYPD policy revised; officers should take stairs in fire
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- South Korea ferry captain arrested; death toll at 32
- Weekend subway changes affecting 11 lines
- Death toll rises to 13 in Mount Everest...
57 min ago