New York News
Boy, 12, arrested on hate crime charges on SI
STATEN ISLAND (WABC) -- A 12-year-old New York City boy was arrested and charged with assault as a hate crime after police say he tried to rip the head scarf off a Muslim classmate during recess.
The alleged attack which police say occurred on the grounds of IS-49 is now the focus of two investigations, and leading to the arrest of an 11-year-old student.
"It would be hard for anybody to see your kid with a cuff in his hands, that's just messed up," said Frank Davis, the suspect's father.
Shackled and walked out of family court, Frank Davis' 11-year-old son is charged as a juvenile with the alleged attack on a school mate that now has police and school officials investigating whether it was a hate crime.
"I know he's innocent. He is a Muslim, he wouldn't do that to a fellow Muslim," Davis said.
Prosecutors claim, the 50-pound 6th grader harassed a 12-year-old Muslim classmate over a period of eight weeks.
On the grounds of IS-49, school officials also confirmed that an alleged attack is under investigation in which an alleged victim was beaten, thrown to the ground and that an 11-year -old allegedly tried to rip off her religious headscarf.
"The young man maintains his innocence. I haven't heard anything that would make me believe a hate crime occurred," said Christopher Robles, the defense attorney.
new york city, staten island, hate crime, new york news, tim fleischer
- Man stabbed on 2 train in Bronx 37 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Third grader killed in accident, truck driver charged
- President Obama says 2013 hasn't been so bad 25 min ago
- Teen dead, 2 sisters critical in Brooklyn fire
- Bronx fire leaves brothers dead, 3 firefighters hurt
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- LI nativity theft being investagated as hate crime
- Bloomberg rides 7 train to station he helped build 39 min ago
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
- 9-year-old bowler in Florida tosses perfect 300
- Photos: Staten Island quintuplets through the years
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos