New York News
Bronx Zoo cobra found!
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The search is over! The missing cobra at the Bronx Zoo has been found, ending a six day search for the snake.
Turns out, the snake never left the House of Reptiles, where it was found by workers just after 9:00 this morning, officials said.
Workers had no problem catching the snake after findng it coiled in a corner. They used specially designed equipment to recapture it.
"The key strategy here was patience," Breheny said.
The reptile house had been closed since the snake went missing on Friday.
Wildlife Conservation Society staff conducted sweeping searches around the clock on a daily basis. In addition, staff implemented a system for tracking any movement by the snake that would help aid in its capture.
The difficulty was that the small snake, which is months old and weighs about 3 ounces, had sought out a secure hiding spot within the holding areas of the Reptile House - an extremely complex environment with pumps, motors, and other mechanical systems.
Officials wanted to create an atmosphere for the snake to come out, so they kept the lights dim and noise low
Meanwhile, the Twitter account of someone purporting to be the slithering escapee now has more than 200,000 followers.
It had written about "Sex and the City," saying: "I'm totally a SSSamantha."
And it tweeted while staring from atop the Empire State Building: "All the people look like little mice. Delicious little mice."
The user behind BronxZoosCobra refused to identify him or herself or say who was typing the tweets.
Its last tweet, "If you see a bag of peanuts inexplicably moving along the ground at Yankee Stadium today. Just ignore it. It's probably nothing."
Opened in 1899, the Bronx Zoo is run by the nonprofit Wildlife Conservation Society.
new york city, bronx, animals, bronx zoo, bronx zoo cobra, new york news
- Actor James Gandolfini dead at 51 18 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: More sunshine
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Joe Torre's daughter catches child from awning
- Teacher charged with rape of student in the Bronx
- Leonia firehouse reopens after sex assault
- UFT endorses Thompson for NYC mayor
- TWA Flight 800 crash investigators want new probe
- Woman allegedly kicks police dog in teeth
- American Medical Association calling obesity a disease
- Men's Warehouse fires founder/spokesman George Zimmer
- Photos: James Gandolfini through the years 21 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2013 30 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos