New York News
Charges filed in livery cab shooting in the Bronx
BRONX (WABC) -- Police have charged a 29-year-old Bronx man in the shooting of a livery cab driver.
Taylor Devon is charged with attempted murder, gang assault, robbery and criminal possession of a weapon.
He had been taken to Bellevue Hospital for psychiatric evaluation after attempting suicide following the shooting.
Devon is accused of shooting Julio Lora in the head during a robbery attempt in the Bronx Thursday afternoon.
The 64-year-old livery cab driver and father of seven is still fighting just to stay alive, but his family received more devastating news from doctors at Lincoln Hospital.
Lora's son, who also makes his living driving a cab, insisted he is so shaken that he cannot get behind the wheel of a livery cab, again.
"I decided to do that no more," said Danilo Lora, the victim's son.
He's heartbroken over his father's condition and the violence that put him in the hospital.
The family says he was shot in the head.
Julio Lora was driving a Lincoln Town Car when a passenger in the back seat pulled out a gun and shot him in an attempted robbery on Thursday night.
The suspect tried to run away, but that's when some Good Samaritans chased him down and restrained him until police arrived.
"We, as New Yorkers in general, are amazed at their bravery. They basically held down a man that was armed and they could've lost their lives," Mateo said.
Sources say one teen broke his hand in the scuffle. Other witnesses flagged down two officers who were passing by.
new york city, bronx, cab drivers, shooting, new york news
- Person of interest in custody in Flatbush shooting 45 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- NY cabbie accused of not paying $28,000 in tolls 57 min ago
- Woman tries to grab stroller from nanny in Chelsea 1 min ago
- Fraternity shuts Ole Miss branch after noose tying
- Police investigating East Harlem hit and run
- 8 mumps cases at Stevens Institute in Hoboken
- Cuomo announces deal between MTA and Union
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn
- Blind marathoner will run to raise money for guide dog
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- NYC mayor announces Sandy recovery reforms
5 min ago