New York News
Carjacker takes off with child in back seat
QUEENS (WABC) -- The boy's dad had just gotten out of the red Honda, but left the engine running to go into a store.
In the blink of an eye, a carjacker jumped inside and took off with the car, apparently unaware of the child in side.
It wasn't until miles down the road that the carjacker decided to ditch the stolen car and his surprise passenger, the nine year old boy, on 231st Street near Sunrise Highway in Brookville.
Dozens of heavily armed police officers converged on the normally quiet neighborhood, searching through back yards for the carjacker.
They surrounded a vacant house thinking the suspect was inside. They sent in a canine unit, but came up empty handed.
The child was not injured, authorities said.
new york city, carjacking, queens, new york news, tim fleischer
- Authorities: Hofstra student killed by police
- AccuWeather: Showers Show Up
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- 1 winning ticket sold for record Powerball jackpot
- Teen fatally shot on Queens bus
- U.S. Air plane makes belly landing at Newark Airport
- Vito Lopez says he will resign effective Monday
- Official: Broken rail eyed in Metro North crash
- Police say fatal Greenwich Village shooting a hate crime
- Oxbow wins the Preakness Stakes
- Pacers knock out Knicks with win in Game 6
- Photos: Belly landing at Newark Airport
- Photos: Metro North trains collide in Connecticut