New York News
Carjacker takes off with child in back seat
QUEENS (WABC) -- The boy's dad had just gotten out of the red Honda, but left the engine running to go into a store.
In the blink of an eye, a carjacker jumped inside and took off with the car, apparently unaware of the child in side.
It wasn't until miles down the road that the carjacker decided to ditch the stolen car and his surprise passenger, the nine year old boy, on 231st Street near Sunrise Highway in Brookville.
Dozens of heavily armed police officers converged on the normally quiet neighborhood, searching through back yards for the carjacker.
They surrounded a vacant house thinking the suspect was inside. They sent in a canine unit, but came up empty handed.
The child was not injured, authorities said.
new york city, carjacking, queens, new york news, tim fleischer
- Yonkers fire injures family of four 13 min ago
- AccuWeather: Still Some Slick Spots!
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Spring Valley police to announce arrest in Baby Angel case
- Residents warned to look out for black ice
- Avonte's mother continues search with new headquarters
- Local 7 line service resumes after signal problems 58 min ago
- Tourist who lost leg in taxi crash sues city
- Man struck and killed by car on LIE
- Flu shots could be mandatory for NYC kids
- World leaders bow, pray at Nelson Mandela's casket 21 min ago
- Photos: 4 injured in Yonkers fire
- Photos: Viewer snow storm pictures