New York News
Toddler dies after beating in foster home
EAST NEW YORK (WABC) -- A toddler who prosecutors say was brutally beaten by his foster mother's boyfriend has died from his injuries, the New York City Medical Examiner's office said Monday.
Kymell Oram died on March 28, said Grace Burgess, a spokeswoman for the agency. Medical examiners have ruled his death a homicide, she said.
Oram, who was also known by his official name, Louis Mosley, was hospitalized on March 17 with blunt force injuries, cuts, broken ribs and damage to his lungs.
Paramedics found the boy unconscious in a Brooklyn home after responding to a 911 call.
Prosecutors say the boy was severely beaten by his foster mother's 19-year-old boyfriend while she was away from the house.
Kysheen Oliver, 19, was previously arraigned on charges including assault and reckless endangerment. They may now be upgraded.
Police say the mother left the boy in Oliver's care while she took two older children to school.
No decision had been made on whether to charge the foster mother, 35-year-old Teyuana Cummings.
The city's Administration for Children's Services has asked the Family Court to place the other two children into the agency's protective custody.
New York's child protection system has come under fire since the September death of another child, 4-year-old Marchella Pierce.
Pierce was beaten and drugged, and when she died she weighed only 18 pounds, half the normal weight of a 4-year-old.
On March 23 a grand jury indicted an investigator and supervisor at the Administration for Children's Services on charges of negligent homicide. Prosecutors say the two workers falsified information about inspection visits to Pierce's home. The workers say they simply didn't enter the information into computers until later because they were too busy.
new york city, east new york, brooklyn, child abuse, child injured, new york news
- 4 more bodies pulled from rubble in East Harlem 10 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder days ahead 39 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- East Harlem explosion: More on the victims 9 min ago
- Water main eyed in East Harlem gas explosion
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Roof blows off Mount Olive Bed, Bath & Beyond
- High winds damage power lines, Bed, Bath & Beyond store 54 min ago
- Man found alive in body bag dies weeks later 40 min ago
- Haverstraw condo complex evacuated due to gas leak
- Major delays on NJ Transit after Newark tanker explosion
- Photos: Newark tanker fire
- Surveillance in Upper Manhattan attempted rape
- AccuWeather: Milder days ahead
39 min ago