New York News
Rikers Island guard busted in jailbreak for cocaine plot
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A Rikers Island guard is accused of bribing an inmate for drugs or cash in exchange for getting the inmate out of jail.
DEA agents arrested Robert Whitfield, a 21-year corrections veteran, on Tuesday afternoon.
An undercover DEA agent spoke to Whitfield on the phone and agreed to deliver three kilos of cocaine in exchange for helping to break the inmate out of Rikers Island.
Authorities said the agent met with Whitfield's designated intermediary, Islime Duvivier, at a prearranged meeting place near the intersection of Broadway and Dyckman Street in Inwood on Tuesday.
After Duvivier accepted the three kilos from the undercover agent, he was immediately placed under arrest.
A short time later, members of the DEA Strike Force and DOI investigators stopped Whitfield's car on Dyckman Street, two blocks away from the meeting place, and took him into custody.
new york city, rikers island, arrest, drug bust, new york news
- 4 more bodies pulled from rubble in East Harlem 16 min ago
- AccuWeather: Polar Vortex returns for 1 day
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- East Harlem explosion: More on the victims 55 min ago
- Water main eyed in East Harlem gas explosion 38 min ago
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Roof blows off Mount Olive Bed, Bath and Beyond
- Haverstraw condo complex evacuated due to gas leak
- Major delays on NJ Transit after Newark tanker explosion 51 min ago
- Photos: Newark tanker fire
- Suspect in terrifying Brooklyn sex assault caught on camera
- Surveillance in Upper Manhattan attempted rape
- Alleged drunk driver rams crowd, kills 2 at SXSW in Texas