New York News
Teacher arrested for assaulting 7-year-old
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A New York City teacher is under arrest and accused of assaulting his 7-year-old student.
The charges are very disturbing. They include assault, endangering the welfare of a child, and equally disturbing, the alleged incident occurred at PS-46.
"He took my arm up and then he threw me into my chair," said Danaisha Simmons, a student.
Even with her arm still bruised and swollen, Danaisha Simmons and her family are trying to comprehend what they believe was a very freighting ordeal for this little 7-year-old, something, they say should never have happen in school.
"I am shocked," said Rellaisia Mays, Danaisha's cousin.
Rellaisia Mays, learned from her second grade cousin of an incident Tuesday, allegedly involving Danaisha's teacher Malcolm McConnachie.
"She asked the teacher if she could go to the bathroom, Mr. McConnachie, and he said, 'yes' that she could go," Mays said.
Danaisha says she signed out and took the hall pass and went to the bathroom.
But when she came back, the family says the teacher questioned her why she left.
"'I signed out, look in the sign-out book and you will see that I signed out.' He yanked her by her left arm and flung her into her chair," Mays said.
"I hit my back on the chair when he pushed me into it," Simmons said.
The family notified school officials first thing Wednesday morning and police from the 88th Precinct were also called.
They eventually arrested Malcolm McConnachie and charged him with assault and endangering the welfare of a child.
Still, Danaisha's family believes the incident was unprovoked and alarming.
"She would have followed directions, even if he said what he said about him not giving her permission to go. She would have gladly went to her seat," Mays said.
The teacher has been at the school for ten years.
A Department of Education spokesperson says he has now been reassigned.
new york city, teacher arrested, student, child injured, assault, new york news, tim fleischer
- Third grader killed in accident, truck driver charged
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Car dealer charged after selling Sandy-damaged vehicles
- NJ Transit train disabled inside Hudson River tunnel
- Surveillance released in shooting of 9-year-old boy
- Man stabbed on 2 train in Bronx
- Prosecutors likely to reduce charges in SUV assault
- Video: Two US astronauts set to spacewalk to fix ISS
- GWB repair work this weekend
- Father in Army reunites with son in kindergarten class
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos