New York News
Study finds air is cleaner in Times Square
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Air quality in Times Square is cleaner and healthier since the pedestrian plazas were opened, a new study found.
New York City Community Air Survey released the results showing "an immediate and substantial air quality" improvement in Times Square after implementation of the pedestrian plaza.
"We created pedestrian plazas right in the heart of our City to straighten out some of the chokepoints in our street grid and to help traffic flow more smoothly and quickly through Midtown," said Mayor Bloomberg. "We also expected that by reducing the numbers of vehicles in and around Times Square, we would also improve the area's air quality, and that's exactly what the numbers now show."
A comprehensive survey of street-level air quality in the five boroughs created as part of PlaNYC. The New York City Community Air Survey is one of more than a dozen PlaNYC programs designed to improve air quality in New York City.
The city estimates that a quarter-million pedestrians enter Times Square each day. Over the past two years, the city has banned cars from parts of Times Square, Union Square and Herald Square. A plan to ban cars from parts of 34th street failed when businesses and residents complained that drivers forced to use alternate routes would increase traffic on side streets.
new york city, health alert, michael bloomberg, times square, new york news
- 4 more bodies pulled from rubble in East Harlem 59 min ago
- AccuWeather: Polar Vortex returns for 1 day 43 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- East Harlem explosion: More on the victims 27 min ago
- Water main eyed in East Harlem gas explosion
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Roof blows off Mount Olive Bed, Bath & Beyond
- High winds damage power lines, Bed, Bath & Beyond store
- Haverstraw condo complex evacuated due to gas leak
- Major delays on NJ Transit after Newark tanker explosion
- Photos: Newark tanker fire
- Surveillance in Upper Manhattan attempted rape
- Alleged drunk driver rams crowd, kills 2 at SXSW in Texas
- AccuWeather: Polar Vortex returns for 1 day
43 min ago