New York News
NYU Students tap fashion to fight cancer
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Students from New York University are hitting the runway to help raise money for cancer research.
Members of two sororities, Alpha Epsilon Phi and Delta Phi Epsilon, have planned the entire event. Students like Ashley Tabroff have spent months recruiting local sponsors for the fashion show, silent auction and raffle.
"I made a point to reach out to small stores in the area, which are readily accessible to NYU students. Although the stores and companies were interested in benefiting from the added exposure, I found that those who did donate also had a great sense of corporate responsibility," Tabroff, Co-Chair of Runway for Life, said.
The fashion show has received clothing donations from local boutiques such as, French Connection, Kate Spade and LF, Soho. The event has attracted both big name labels as well as some start-up designers like Ash&Dans, which is a new scarf line created by two AEPHI alumni from Washington University and St. Louis.
Despite the excitement behind successfully drumming up support from local sponsors, many of the students are more focused on their personal connections to the cause.
"Many of my extended family members have had breast cancer, but most recently my father was diagnosed with skin cancer. Luckily everything was fine and it was removed, but having cancer affect me as closely as it did made it that much more real and that much more important to me to help causes like this," Dana Fields, Junior at NYU, said.
Fields is among the countless students who have shared their personal tragedies in this long battle in fighting for a cure. The fashion show is among one of the few major events on campus, that support NYU's Relay for Life, a community event sponsored by the American Cancer Society that celebrates cancer survivors, commemorates those lost, and raises money nationally for cancer research.
Runway for Life is open to the public. There are some exciting opportunities to purchase fabulous spring accessories, make-up, salon gift cards and much more. The event is Thursday night from 7:00-9:00 at the Kimmel Center, 60 Washington Square South in the Rosenthal Pavilion (10th Floor). General Admission and VIP Tickets will be available for purchase at the door.
new york city, nyu, cancer, new york news
- Hospital warns of possible blood contamination 9 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day care center
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam
- Teen girl shot in leg in Coney Island
- Firefighters battling Bronx car fire find body inside
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn
- Malaysia plane changed direction, military says
- Obama, in NYC for fundraising trip, shops at Gap
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos