New York News

NTSB: Tour bus not hit before Bronx crash killed 15

Friday, April 15, 2011

Federal inspectors have found no evidence that a casino tour bus was struck by a tractor-trailer before it crashed in New York City last month, killing 15 people.

A preliminary report on the crash was issued Friday by the National Transportation Safety Board.

It says the bus was going 78 mph about 45 seconds before the crash. The speed limit at the Bronx crash site is 55 mph.

Police said driver Ophadell Williams told them his bus was clipped by a tractor-trailer, which forced him to swerve and crash. Williams' attorney didn't immediately return a call for comment Friday.

The bus ran off Interstate 95 on March 12 as it was returning from a casino in Uncasville, Conn.. It tipped over and slammed into a pole that sheared it nearly end to end.

Related Content

 

(Copyright ©2014 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Get more New York News »


Tags:
new york city, bronx, bus accident, lawsuit, new york news
blog comments powered by Disqus
Advertisement