New York News
Charges dismissed against Ft. Hamilton teacher
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A Brooklyn grand jury has dismissed all charges against high school teacher Sabrina Milo.
The jury decided the facts of the case did not support the criminal charges.
A stack of letters was sent to the court in support of Sabrina Milo.
Students, teachers and parents all wrote emphasizing that there was no way she would ever hurt anyone.
The 34-year-old art teacher was arrested for making terroristic threats last month.
In an exclusive interview with Eyewitness News reporter Sarah Wallace, she recounted what she said:
Milo: "I started crying and said, 'if I had a shotgun and a trench coat, it would be Columbine all over again.'"
Wallace: "What did you mean?"
Milo: "I didn't mean anything by it. It was just an expression of my frustration."
Milo went back to the classroom for several days before being arrested.
She was held on $100,000 bail and police considered searching her Staten Island home for weapons.
"I wasn't thinking. It was exercising poor judgment. The door was shut. It was adults. Many times we have gathered together and vented in our own ways," Milo said.
More than 40 people wrote letters on Milo's behalf to the court.
Wednesday evening, upon hearing the news that she will not face charges, Milo expressed her relief. She also said that she can't wait to get back to her classroom.
"I definitely want to be back in my classroom, we've had two weeks of lost time," Milo said on the phone with Eyewitness News.
Following her arrest, Milo was reassigned.
Now she'd like the Board of Education to allow her back in the classroom at Fort Hamilton High School where her students are waiting for her.
"I hope she's back in the classroom soon because I'm taking art soon and I want her as a teacher," said Jason Gonzalez, a student.
Milo is awaiting a decision from the Board of Education on whether she can return to class.
new york city, teacher, terror threat, brooklyn, bay ridge, new york news, jen maxfield
- St. Pat's parade proceeds amid tension over gays 3 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cold Afternoon 58 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Los Angeles earthquake felt by residents 5 min ago
- Shelton teen critical after being shot in head 4 min ago
- Cop shoots pit bull in Bronx apartment building
- 5-year-old struck and killed in Brooklyn
- Rubble cleared, East Harlem blast investigation ramps up
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Crimea parliament declares independence after vote
- Chris Brown kicked out of rehab, facing jail time
- Kenya's Geoffrey Mutai wins 2014 NYC Half
- Photos: 2014 NYC Half Marathon
- St. Pat's parade proceeds amid tension over...
3 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cold Afternoon
58 min ago