New York News
NYPD handcuffs 7-year-old special ed student
MASPETH, Queens (WABC) -- A family is outraged after a 7-year-old boy, a special education student, was handcuffed by the NYPD at his school.
Cops say they were protecting the boy and others after his emotional outburst.
His mother says it was just plain wrong.
"Can't go to sleep or eat," Joseph Anderson said.
7-year-old Joseph Anderson says he can't sleep or eat after he was handcuffed at school.
His mother says what police did was out of line.
"I feel like my son was being discriminated against and retaliated against because of his disability," said Jessica Anderson, Joseph's mother.
The first grader was painting an Easter egg when he became upset.
He was handcuffed and taken to the hospital.
New Schools Chancellor Dennis Walcott says he looking into the incident.
But some of his comments haven't exactly reassured Jessica Anderson and her attorneys.
About using handcuffs, Walcott has reportedly said, "There are occasions when it may need to be done, and I think it's the responsibility of the principal and school safety to work together to make that determination."
Jessica Anderson is planning a lawsuit and she says she wants the principal of the school and everyone else involved to be disciplined.
"I want for the principal to give up her seat, because she doesn't know what she's doing," Anderson said.
new york city, queens, new york news, jeff pegues
- Brooklyn police shooting leaves suspect wounded 56 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix On The Way 28 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- De Blasio, Bratton join Sharpton at Mandela tribute 51 min ago
- Queens hit and run leaves pedestrian dead
- Man found fatally stabbed in Williamsburg
- Funeral held for NYPD traffic agent hit by truck
- Long Island Rail Road massacre, 20 years later
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- US vet, 85, back home after detained in North Korea
- Pearl Harbor ceremony marks bombing anniversary
- Photos: Pearl Harbor anniversary
- Suspect wounded after Brooklyn police...
55 min ago
- De Blasio, Bratton join Sharpton at Mandela...
52 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix On The Way
28 min ago