New York News
8-year-old sells gun at Flushing school
FLUSHING, Queens (WABC) -- An 8-year-old boy is accused of bringing a loaded gun to school and selling it to another 8-year-old boy.
Three live rounds were in the gun and another round was found on the floor in the school, police said.
Karen Divittorio's children have played with the alleged 8-year-old seller, who lives right next to her home.
Now, he's charged, as a juvenile, with 3 counts of criminal possession of a weapon.
"You can't blame the kid. You can only blame the parent," said Karen Divittorio.
The boy's father, 54-year-old Ignacio Galvin, is charged with 3 counts of criminal possession of a weapon and with acting in a manner to injure a child.
At P.S 107 where the alleged sale happened, parents worry about the potential for utter disaster.
"Loaded, too, no less. That's what scares me more," said parent, Sharon Filomena.
"It's really a sad situation when you have an 8-year-old who brought a gun into school and then sold it for 3 dollars. That's something that can't be tolerated," said School Chancellor Dennis Walcott.
The boy's father told investigators that he bought the gun for his own protection, according to Police Commissioner Ray Kelly who added that there are simply too many guns out there and that this is an indication of that.
"We, in the last 2 years just in buy-back programs in churches, have bought back 6500 guns. That's an indication of what's happening. Here you have a young boy who sees a gun in his house and sells it so there's no question about it. It's an issue," said Kelly.
The commissioner says the boy grabbed the gun right off the top of the refrigerator. A spokesman for the schools says disciplinary action is pending against both the seller and the buyer.
new york city, gun, flushing, queens, new york news, jamie roth
- Metro North: Conn. train outage expected for days 50 min ago
- AccuWeather: Dreary Night 33 min ago
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Hofstra remembers Andrea Rebello at graduation 47 min ago
- Tornadoes level homes in Oklahoma, 21 injured 2 min ago
- Taylor Swift wins 8 trophies at Billboard Awards 18 min ago
- Teen fatally shot on Queens bus identified 45 min ago
- Powerball: 1 winning ticket sold in Florida
- Man falls out window during Broadway show
- Video: Who will win the Indianapolis 500? 4 min ago
- Photos: Tornado rips through Oklahoma
- Photos: Belly landing at Newark Airport
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- What can you expect for Monday's Metro...
50 min ago
- AccuWeather: Dreary Night
33 min ago
- Hofstra students remember Andrea Rebello
47 min ago