New York News
Brooklyn Popeye's in deplorable condition
EAST NEW YORK, Brooklyn (WABC) -- There are thousands of dead flies, a padlocked door, and a receipt still dangling in the cash register at the Popeye's in East New York.
"It smells like there's something dead in there, it doesn't smell like rotten food, it smells like there's something dead," said one man in the area.
"Come get a look at this, come on, come on," said another man.
People have been pulling shirts over their faces, hands over their noses, and people who work next door say the Popeye's franchise on Pennsylvania Avenue has been like that for weeks.
"Oh God, it's disgusting, it's bad, it's very bad," said a woman.
"The smell is just outrageous, the people in the neighborhood, it just can be smelled for blocks now, as you can see there are flies, hundreds of them," Joy Simmons, Barron's spokesperson said.
But why has nothing been done?
Barron's office, the Health Department, and Popeye's Corporate Office all say they just found out about the situation.
No one called an agency.
"I think what happened, I think it's just been getting progressively worse," Simmons said.
Popeye's Corporate tells Eyewitness News that the larger business that owned the franchise is bankrupt and it shut its doors on its own.
Eyewitness News found an auction notice that this site was auctioned off and bought a few days ago on April 28th.
"It shouldn't be like this, it's been like this for quite some time," said a neighbor.
The neighbor lives four blocks away and says the awful smell has been lingering for numerous weeks.
"Over weeks into months, OK say a month, a little more than a month, that bad," the neighbor added.
Popeye's says that they plan to open a new franchise in the location soon.
new york city, brooklyn, east new york, food, new york news, michelle charlesworth
- Bible from East Harlem church found in debris 25 min ago
- Photos: Accuweather maps for possible Monday snow
- AccuWeather: Cold Sunday 8 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- East Harlem Explosion: How to Help
- East Harlem community tries to move forward after explosion
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Focus turns to pilots as hunt for Malaysian jet widens 6 min ago
- Toddler survives after tumbling onto subway tracks
- Out of control bus hits cars in Brooklyn; 5 hurt
- Widow of Short Hills mall carjacking victim files suit
- Firefighters respond to brush fire near JFK
- Focus turns to pilots as hunt for Malaysian...
6 min ago
- Bible from East Harlem church found in debris
25 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cold Sunday
8 min ago