New York News
Newspaper cuts Clinton from Situation Room photo
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A photo from the Situation Room that captured President Obama and others during the raid of Osama bin Laden's compound is literally worth a thousand words.
But when the photograph appeared in the Hassidic newspaper Der Zeitung, the images of Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and another woman were surprisingly removed.
"This has to do with the concept of modesty. It may be taken to the tenth degree," said Assemblymen, Dov Hikind.
Readers of the paper, like Assemblyman Hikind, say the newspaper usually does not run pictures of woman on its pages.
"They have set a certain standard. Some people might say well that standard is a little too high. Can't you have some women? Maybe an elderly woman? Maybe a young child, but they have set a standard," said Assemblymen Hikind.
A comment from the newspaper was not available, but in Borough Park where numerous Jewish papers fill the newsstands, some readers find the altering of the picture most unusual.
"Usually most orthodox papers wouldn't show such a picture. They wouldn't alter the picture. They wouldn't show the picture," said Abraham Greenwald.
"If it's a paper geared towards the Hasidic community and it's only going to be for men , they don't want women in their paper. It's all a matter of opinion," said Yaira Greenstein.
But in no way, as Hikind reveals, is it showing disrespect toward Hillary Clinton.
"With what is going on in our society today, I can understand saying, 'look, this is our message to everybody' It has absolutely nothing to do with a lack of respect," said Hikind.
new york city, hillary clinton, new york news, tim fleischer
- Malaysia Airlines plane vanishes with 239 aboard
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Kindergartener leaves school unnoticed in Morrisania
- Missing man found buried in nephew's backyard
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- Florida family falls ill after eating meat with LSD
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay
- Battling a third party energy company
- Carmen Berra, wife of Yogi Berra dies at 85
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ