New York News
Brooklyn rent controlled apartment in foreclosure
BROOKLYN (WABC) -- There's a major legal push to help tenants living in deplorable conditions.
The tenants are living in apartment buildings now in foreclosure and essentially neglected because of the dire financial situation.
It has become a nationwide problem.
Without landlords, no one is fixing these rent controlled buildings.
There are crumbling ceilings and floors, and there was little heat or hot water over the winter and the roof has holes in it.
"When it comes in, it's all over the floors," said Yolanda Jimenez, a tenant.
There is black mold, the vents have not worked in years, and in this building at 294 5th Avenue, five of the six tenants are more than 70 years old.
The average monthly rent runs about $200.
Downstairs, a 98-year-old woman in a hospital bed and her son deal with all of these problems.
He showed Eyewitness News a list of the people he has called for help.
How were these tenants left in foreclosure no man's land?
So, advocates and lawyers with South Brooklyn Legal Services are taking banks and intermediaries to court to fix buildings, in foreclosure now around the city, buildings that are full of people.
"I hope they fix it, I'm not going nowhere," Jimenez said.
There's no comment from the bank involved. The next court date is June 3rd.
new york city, brooklyn, foreclosure, new york news, michelle charlesworth
- 9 hurt when NJ Transit bus, cab collide in Newark 31 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Photos: Bus, taxi collide in Newark
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach 19 min ago
- US-India relations chilled over diplomat arrest in NYC
- Rangel expected to announce run for 23rd term 37 min ago
- Jersey City boil water advisory in effect after main break 26 min ago
- Young boy shot in foot in the Bronx
- Murder-suicide shooting at NJ nail salon
- Georgia winner of Mega Millions jackpot comes forward
- Most Fascinating People of 2013 revealed
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved...
19 min ago