New York News
Victory for purists in Coney Island boardwalk battle
CONEY ISLAND (WABC) -- There was a partial victory for purists who fought to keep the wooden Coney Island boardwalk free from concrete.
The city has abandoned plans to completely cement five blocks of the historic 2.5-mile walkway.
The parks department unveiled a $10 million plan to instead install a small concrete strip flanked with fake wood through those five blocks.
Some city officials call it a great compromise, but activists vow to fight it.
new york city, coney island, new york news
- Vietnam spots oil slicks in hunt for missing jet 17 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower 12 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Man in coma after Queens hit and run 48 min ago
- Kindergartener leaves school unnoticed in Morrisania
- Missing man found buried in nephew's backyard
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- Florida family falls ill after eating meat with LSD
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay
- Battling a third party energy company
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks head 23 min ago
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Vietnam spots oil slicks in hunt for...
17 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
12 min ago