New York News
NYPD releases arrest video in synagogue terror plot
MIDTOWN (WABC) -- The NYPD has released video following the arrests of two homegrown terror suspects.
There is an increased police presence at landmarks like the Empire State Building, which was reportedly on the list of the men's targets.
The arrests have already prompted increased security across the city.
Police say Ferhani, from Algeria, and Mamdouh, from Morocco, resented what they saw as the mistreatment of Muslims.
Prosecutors say Ferhani was the leader, and in each meeting with undercover officers, his plan had grown bigger and more violent.
Ferhani is unemployed. His parents claimed asylum when they came to this country in 1995. Mamdouh is a livery cab dispatcher who is is a naturalized citizen. He came with his family in 1999.
Police say they finally closed the trap in this case because they were afraid of losing track the suspects.
"The NYPD arrested Mr. Ferhani when he actually takes possession of the grenade and takes physical possession of the three handguns and the ammunition that accompanied them," prosecutor Margaret Gandy said. "It is on videotape. Therefore, the evidence again, Your Honor, is overwhelming."
The two men are being held without bail and are due back in court next week. If convicted, they could face life in prison without parole.
new york city, terror threat, terrorism, new york news, jamie roth
- 3 critical after fire tears through Brooklyn home 6 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives 57 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Bronx fire leaves 2 dead, 3 firefighters hurt 39 min ago
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx 39 min ago
- Mink coat thieves caught on camera at NYC botique 14 min ago
- City Council passes plastic foam, e-cigarette bills
- Over 75 injured in London theatre roof collapse
- 4 injured, including child in Bronx fire
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach
- String of carjackings in Elizabeth
- Tax trouble for taxi tycoon?
- Photos: Injuries reported in Clifton, NJ bus accident
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
57 min ago