New York News
Jury deliberations head to day 3 in NYPD rape trial
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The jury begins its third day of deliberations Friday in the trial of two NYPD officers accused of rape.
Prosecutors say officer Kenneth Moreno raped an intoxicated woman in her East Village apartment in 2008.
Moreno's partner, officer Franklin Mata is accused of standing guard during the assault.
Earlier, the jury asked the judge for clarification of police misconduct.
The officers face 25 years in prison if convicted.
Moreno and Mata were called to help the drunken woman get home from a taxi. Moreno is accused of raping the now 29-year-old woman while she was physically helpless after passing out.
Moreno says the woman made sexual advances, and they cuddled in her bed but didn't have sex.
Jurors requested a transcript Wednesday of a taped conversation between the woman and Moreno in which he denied having sex but also said he wore a condom.
new york city, nypd, rape, new york news
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- AccuWeather: March roller coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Police search for missing 11-year-old Brooklyn boy
- Metro-North worker fatally struck by train in NYC 4 min ago
- 4-year closure of Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp begins
- Search continues for missing plane; 2 flew on stolen passports
- UWS street to be renamed after 4-year-old Ariel Russo
- NY-native bank robbery suspect nabbed after selfies 39 min ago
- UCONN sophomore accuses sorority sisters of hazing 16 min ago
- CT hockey referee arrested after removing child from ice 8 min ago
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos