New York News
Newborn baby thrown down Brooklyn trash chute
CLINTON HILL, Brooklyn (WABC) -- There was a heart-wrenching discovery in Brooklyn on Sunday morning.
A newborn baby boy was apparently thrown down a trash chute.
The infant survived, and police have taken the mother into custody.
The incident happened in the Walt Whitman Homes in the Clinton Hill section of Brooklyn.
A police source said the baby fell eight floors before landing in the attached trash bag, which may have helped break his fall.
Laquasia Wright, 18, is charged with Attempted Murder and Endangering the Welfare of a Child.
Sources say Wright delivered the baby boy early Saturday night inside her apartment.
One mother of three who lives in the building would not give her name but said she knows the baby's mother well.
"She's a young girl that was in an unfortunate situation. I just pray for her and her family," the woman told Eyewitness News.
Police say luckily the building's superintendent heard the baby's cries coming from inside a plastic trash bag attached to the compactor chute just after 9 a.m. Sunday.
He immediately called police.
The infant is in stable condition at Brooklyn Hospital.
While detectives canvassed the area for much of the day, parents like Ben Arnette found it difficult to explain this to their children.
"Why didn't that person take it to a precinct or a hospital. I don't understand. I have seven kids," Arnette said.
new york city, brooklyn, fort greene, baby, child injured, new york news, carolina leid
- Missing Malaysia jet may have turned back 39 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday 35 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Violence in Bronx leaves 1 dead, 1 injured 18 min ago
- Police investigating double shooting in Brooklyn
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run
- Noise complaint turns into Queens drug bust
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Proposed teacher layoffs in Newark set off dispute
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Stage collapses at California high school: 30-40 hurt 39 min ago
- Melo scores 26, Knicks beat Cavs 107-97
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
35 min ago