New York News
Man accused of fatally punching 6-month-old nephew
KIPS BAY (WABC) -- Police in Manhattan arrested a man for allegedly punching his 6-month-old nephew, killing him.
The two live there with the boy's mother.
Authorities say the baby boy started crying and wouldn't stop, so Melendez punched him.
A short time later, Fernandez had trouble breathing, and Melendez called 911.
The baby was taken to Beth Israel Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
While being questioned by police, Melendez apparently made statements implicating himself in the child's death.
The mother was not home at the time of the incident and will not be charged.
Sources say Melendez has two prior arrests - one in 1999 for sex abuse and another 2003 for endangering the welfare of a child.
Melendez is charged with second-degree murder, reckless assault of a child and endangering the welfare of a child.
new york city, child death, child abuse, baby, new york news
- Brooklyn fire leaves 2 children critically hurt
- AccuWeather: Much Colder 49 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Bible from East Harlem church found in debris
- East Harlem Explosion: How to Help
- East Harlem community tries to move forward after explosion
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Geoffrey Mutai wins 2014 NYC Half Marathon 7 min ago
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Focus turns to pilots as hunt for Malaysian jet widens
- Toddler survives after tumbling onto subway tracks
- Sick patrons interrupt Broadway show performance
- AccuWeather: Much Colder
49 min ago