New York News
Amazing doll collection in Brooklyn
BROOKLYN (WABC) -- Lots of people collect things, baseball cards, coins, stamps, and even dolls.
There's a woman in Brooklyn who has so many dolls, she's lost count.
And these dolls are all antiques, almost all made in France and Germany.
They were collectables back in the late 1800s and early 1900s because they're handmade, and they're even more valuable now.
Kathy Libraty gives dolls a second chance.
"What I'm looking for is that she can hold, I think that's pretty good," Libraty said.
It's pretty good for a doll that's more than a century old, as are most of Kathy's dolls. They fill a number of rooms in her a larger-than-life Brooklyn doll house.
"It just grew into this. I don't know how I got here, but I'm here," Libraty said.
It's a little ironic when you consider that Kathy and her sister only briefly had dolls.
"My sister's doll, we were fighting in the back of a taxi and my mother said you will never have dolls again," Libraty said.
Decades later, Kathy pulled some dolls from the trash.
"I jumped into the dumpster and started pulling out dolls," Libraty said.
By then she was into antiques and knew the dolls held value.
"Every time I see a doll in bad shape, I feel like it's my passion to rescue it," Libraty said.
Her daughter, who did grow up with dolls, helps dress them.
A doll with the right eyes, working limbs and appropriate clothes and shoes will sell for thousands of dollars.
Those faces, those eyes, almost pleading for love, which they certainly get with Kathy.
"I totally love them. They are my passion," Libraty said.
For more information on Kathy Libraty and her dolls please visit: http://www.kathylibratysdolls.com/
new york city, brooklyn, new york news, lauren glassberg
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall
- AccuWeather: Windy and cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at NJ shopping center 8 min ago
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos 7 min ago
- Video shows burglar cashing in lotto tickets in Queens
- Long Island school bus driver accused of selling heroin
- New clue in search for Brooklyn carjacking suspect
- Attempted luring incident reported in West Nyack
- Suspect in Myls Dobson murder due in court
- New York City pre-K signups end on Wednesday
- Hoax sends SWAT teams rushing to Long Beach house
- 13-year-old shooting victim released from hospital
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at NJ...
8 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos