New York News
Beaches full for unofficial kickoff to summer
NEW YORK (WABC) -- It's the unofficial kickoff to summer, and what a weekend it will be.
After a long winter, we deserve it. Record snowfall, freezing temperatures and what seemed to be a winter that never ended.
Temperatures are on the way up and it's time to enjoy it.
So grab the sun block and towel and head for the beach. New York City opened its beaches on Saturday.
The city says 19 million people last year enjoyed its 14 miles of sand and water - three times more than the previous year. But it cautions everyone to observe beach rules and stay out of the water when lifeguards aren't on duty.
It's the first year beaches are smoke-free. The city issued the anti-smoking ban this week for all city parks, beaches, boardwalks and pedestrian plazas.
For a different waterfront experience, the city on Friday opened Governors Island for the season. Visitors can hop a ferry and enjoy biking, walking and various cultural events on the island.
It'll be open Friday to Sunday, and holiday Mondays, through Sept. 25.
On Saturday there were record crowds at Orchard Beach in the Bronx as several thousand turned out for this "start" to summer.
The crowds were enjoying the multi-million dollar improvements to the jewel of the city's parks system.
"We're the Riviera of New York City, as it was termed in the '30's when it opened," said Pehlam Bay Park Administrator Marianne Anderson.
Anderson believes people are ready for a day at the beach.
"I think people were cooped up so much we may get a really big crowd this weekend and we're ready for it," Anderson said.
The Army Corp of Engineers moved in with large scale improvements.
They trucked in a total of 268,000 cubic yards of sand to make the little more than mile-long beach much larger than it used to be.
This Memorial Day weekend is all about having fun and a good time is expected if you head to Orchard Beach.
new york city, memorial day, atlantic city, jersey shore, new jersey, new york news
- Autistic boy missing in Brooklyn
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly 54 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 2 dead after wreck on Southern State
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- Autopsies completed on 7 Utah babies
- Student suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- Judge threatens to duct tape defendant's mouth in murder trial
- No graduation selfies at Rhode Island college
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland
- Employees terrorized; car parts stolen in Elizabeth store 59 min ago
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen 57 min ago
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen
57 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
54 min ago