New York News
Young mother shot and killed in the Bronx
TREMONT (WABC) -- Police in the Bronx are searching for the gunman who shot and killed a young mother with her child at her side.
"I don't know anybody in the world that would want to hurt this girl," her husband, Juba Lassiter, said.
Claudia Millan , 29, was walking with her 2-year-old son, Jamir, on Park Avenue Sunday night.
Around 9:30, she stopped to talk to her neighbor, Michael. A half-hour later, he heard a gunshot and ran outside to see what happened.
He said she was on the ground, shot in the face.
"After I heard the shot, I cam over here and I seen the little kid bleeding over his mother," Michael Escobar said. "He was down on his knees with her, trying to hold her."
The father of two of their young children said he is physically ill over what happened.
Lassiter said he and Claudia were married seven years. He was visiting Pennsylvania with his sister when the shooting happened.
"He loves his mom. They all love their mom. Before anything comes their mom. Now, what am I supposed to tell them?" he said.
"Jamir does reenact what happened. He does put something to his face exactly where his mother's wounds was, because I did go to the morgue to see her. He keeps asking for her. He is really devastated right now," Clarissa Lawson, the victim's sister-in-law, said.
Lighting candles and filled with grief, family members and friends are trying to comprehend that she is gone and that someone would do this.
"That's how they live life. By doing wrong and by hurting people and by taking people away from their family because they have nothing to live for," Lassiter said.
new york city, bronx, tremont, crime, murder, new york news, michelle charlesworth
- Snow Alert issued in NYC for Tuesday 41 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Multiple people injured in Toms River bus accident 17 min ago
- Wintry mix causes slick roads, massive pileup
- NJ Transit cross-honoring tickets system-wide
- Nelson Mandela memorial set for Tuesday in Soweto
- Obama to pay tribute to Mandela in South Africa
- Tough new NYC cockroaches can withstand winter cold
- No tailgating to be allowed at NY/NJ Super Bowl 37 min ago
- Newtown families create website to honor Sandy Hook victims 18 min ago
- Photos: Bronx River Parkway crash
- Photos: AccuWeather Forecast in pictures
- Snow Alert issued in NYC for Tuesday
41 min ago