New York News
Police: SI man arrested for killing wife's dog
STATEN ISLAND (WABC) -- Police have arrested Nashbert Smith, a 28-year-old convicted sex offender, after killing his wife's dog.
Authorities said Smith choked and beat the Jack Russell terrier, named Lady, after it defecated in his Vanderbilt Avenue apartment.
The wife came home to find Smith choking the pooch and swinging the dog on its leash into a wall.
The dog was pronounced dead at an animal hospital from brain trauma, bruised lungs and internal bleeding.
Smith was charged with a felony count of aggravated cruelty to animals.
He was arraigned today in Stapleton Criminal Court and bail was set at $10,000.
Smith is a registered Level 2 Sex Offender on parole for a drug sale conviction. He has several assault and drug convictions.
new york city, staten island, animal abuse, new york news
- Anthony Weiner launches bid to become NYC mayor
- AccuWeather: Warm And Humid
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Survivors search nearly done after Oklahoma tornado
- FBI shoots man possibly linked to Boston bomb suspects,...
- Arrest made in East Village bias attack
- Firebomb may have been used on police captain's home
- Connecticut rail service returns to normal
- Belmar reopens boardwalk destroyed by Sandy 47 min ago
- Funeral to be held Wednesday for slain Hofstra student
- Garcia apologizes for "fried chicken" remark about Tiger
- Kellie Pickler wins Dancing With The Stars
- Photos: Tornado damage in Oklahoma
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos