New York News
Firefighter injured in Brooklyn wall collapse
PROSPECT HEIGHTS (WABC) -- A New York City firefighter is recovering Saturday after being injured while fighting a four-alarm fire in Brooklyn.
Fast-moving flames engulfed one building in the Prospect Heights section and forced the evacuation of others. On top of that, a wall collapsed.
The fire was spectacular, with flames tearing through the five-story building.
"It was unbelievable," neighborhood resident Laverne McQune said. "I have never seen anything like this before in my entire life."
The scene was dramatic, with the firefighter injured in a subsequent wall collapse. He was hurt when a piece of flying brick hit him in the face.
"At least 50 feet from the building is our collapse zone, plus an extra 50 feet because of the way the bricks fly," FDNY Deputy Chief John Mooney said. "These guys were right at that edge, they went farther than we expected."
The fire broke out around 4:30 a.m. at 816 Washington Avenue. Flames broke out on the ground level, and within minutes, the entire structure was engulfed. The fire forced the evacuation of adjacent buildings and even affected residents across the street.
"Start alarming the neighbors, wake up my family, because the heat on our side, it was so hot that I asked them if we should [evacuate]," resident Carla McQune said.
There were no serious injures. The building itself was vacant, recently cleared of squatters and set to undergo renovations. But the ground floor housed a number of stores. Merchants like laundromat owner Ali Manshuri wonder what's next.
"I have two daughters in college, all my family here," he said. "I got my son, his wife, his kid here. I mean, this is what I live here."
As the fire and buildings departments determine the best way to bring down the remainder of the structure, the cause of the fire remains under investigation.
new york city, brooklyn, prospect heights, fire, collapse, firefighter injured, new york news, marcus solis
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads 38 min ago
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder 56 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Sketch released of suspect in East Village sex assault 24 min ago
- Boston police destroy 2 backpacks at marathon site 18 min ago
- Photos: Boston Marathon: One year later
- Driver arrested after teens get drunk, trash party bus
- Photos: Teenagers trash party bus
- Photos released of man wanted for harassing teen Muslim girl
- NYPD to end Muslim surveillance program
- MLB marks 67th anniversary of Jackie Robinson debut
- Miley Cyrus skips concert, is hospitalized
- Baby found in Victoria's Secret bag died of asphyxia
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder
56 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos