New York News
Man arrested in 1 of the Brooklyn sex attacks
BROOKLYN (WABC) -- Police arrested a man in connection with at least one sex assault in a string of attacks on women in Brooklyn.
William Giraldo didn't respond to reporters' questions as he was led off to jail.
He had his head down, but police say the public has seen his face before.
Investigators say the 24-year-old was caught on camera at a Dunkin' Donuts.
It is surveillance video police released as they tried to solve three attempted sexual assaults and one rape.
They have now charged Giraldo with the June 4 rape of a woman in the vestibule of her apartment building in Sunset Park.
However, the arrest of the suspect only raises more questions and concerns because some can't help but wonder if another suspect is still out there.
When it comes to three other attempted rapes, including one caught on surveillance video in which the victim fought off her attacker, it is unclear if police consider Giraldo a prime suspect.
The Park Slope resident whose security camera captured that attack told me the suspect "does not look like him to me."
He got a look at him, he says, when he tried to help the victim.
"If they got the right guy, I'm pretty sure I will recognize him," he said.
The video does not offer a clear shot of the attacker's face.
"We all looked at the video, but really it's so grainy that all you can see is a big man," said Diana Adams, a self defense instructor who lives across the street from the attack.
Police did release a sketch of the man they think was responsible for all four attacks.
But when they released a photo of a suspect, William Giraldo was recognized by family members.
He came to police to clear his name, officials say, but the victim picked him out of a lineup.
Police officials also said the Internal Affairs Bureau is investigating why officers responding to the first attack did not tell detectives or department video experts to return and get the video.
The resident who claims he offered it to police that night told me they finally came back a month later. .
new york city, brooklyn, park slope, bay ridge, sexual assault, new york news, tim fleischer
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery 39 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash 11 min ago
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park
- Missing autistic boy found in Brooklyn
- NYPD policy revised; officers should take stairs in fire
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- South Korea ferry captain arrested; death toll at 32
- Weekend subway changes affecting 11 lines
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
11 min ago