New York News
Arrest in Brighton Beach boardwalk shooting
BRIGHTON BEACH, Brooklyn (WABC) -- Police have arrested a suspect in the murder of a 16-year-old girl and wounding of four others last week on the boardwalk at Brighton Beach.
The suspect, 19-year-old Iloune Driver, is facing murder and assault charges.
Investigators are still seeking a second suspect four days after Tysha Jones, 16, was murdered during a fun day at the beach.
In amateur video, there are glimpses people rushing to Jones' aid. She was one of five people shot on Brighton BeachThursday evening. Police says the five victims were sitting on a bench near Brighton 6th Street, when the shooting started.
Jones was struck in her armpit and later died at Coney Island hospital.
"The first shots, everyone ran," one witness said. "Everybody was running the opposite way and throwing themselves on the floor and completely going insane."
"We didn't know whether to run or to stay," another witness said.
"There were rumors that it was firecrackers, but we saw the man fall," that witness' friend added.
Five .380-caliber shells were recovered from the scene and are being processed, police said.
Detectives do not believe the shooting was a gang retaliation. One of the shooting victims had been involved in a dispute on the beach in which he was hit on the head with a bottle, officials said.
new york city, coney island, brighton beach, crime, shooting, murder, new york news
- Teacher charged with rape of student in the Bronx
- AccuWeather Forecast: Comfortable
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Dave Jennings, former Giants punter, dies 51 min ago
- Man shot multiple times in Nassau County
- At least 6 hurt when car jumps curb in East Village 18 min ago
- TWA Flight 800 crash investigators want new probe
- Woman allegedly kicks police dog in teeth
- American Medical Association calling obesity a disease 51 min ago
- Men's Warehouse fires founder/spokesman George Zimmer 38 min ago
- Natura recalls all brands of dry pet food
- Slim Whitman, country singer, dies
- Photos: Most endangered historic places
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos