New York News
City Island residents protest fire company closing
CITY ISLAND (WABC) -- Concerned residents in the Bronx are denouncing the planned closure of a remote fire company.
Ladder 53 on City Island is one of 20 fire companies slated to close.
City Island residents met for an emergency town hall meeting to fight the closure.
They say if Ladder 53 closes, the next nearest company would take more than 10 minutes to reach City Island.
They call that a deadly delay.
Residents claim if Ladder 53 is closed, City Island will have the longest first-alarm response time, city-wide.
FDNY officials did not attend the meeting.
new york city, bronx, fdny, new york news
- Vietnam spots oil slicks in hunt for missing jet
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Man in coma after Long Island City hit and run
- Missing man found buried in nephew's backyard
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Florida family falls ill after eating meat with LSD
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Mega Millions jackpot at $309 million after no winner
- Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' fame dies at 92 8 min ago
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead 33 min ago
- Photos: Stolen jewelry items in Ramsey robbery