New York News
City Island residents protest fire company closing
CITY ISLAND (WABC) -- Concerned residents in the Bronx are denouncing the planned closure of a remote fire company.
Ladder 53 on City Island is one of 20 fire companies slated to close.
City Island residents met for an emergency town hall meeting to fight the closure.
They say if Ladder 53 closes, the next nearest company would take more than 10 minutes to reach City Island.
They call that a deadly delay.
Residents claim if Ladder 53 is closed, City Island will have the longest first-alarm response time, city-wide.
FDNY officials did not attend the meeting.
new york city, bronx, fdny, new york news
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking 9 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Elderly pedestrian hit by two cars in Harlem
- Third grader killed in accident, truck driver charged
- Car dealer charged after selling Sandy-damaged vehicles
- NJ Transit train disabled inside Hudson River tunnel
- Man stabbed on 2 train in Bronx
- GWB repair work this weekend
- Father in Army reunites with son in kindergarten class
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
- NASA astronauts begin urgent spacewalking repairs 18 min ago
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
9 min ago