New York News
Massive drug raids net 140 arrests in NYC
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Four alleged drug rings are out of business in New York City.
The NYPD on Friday announced more than 100 arrests in a series of raids this week.
According to police Commissioner Ray Kelly, this has been a bad week for drug dealers and gang members. Since early Monday, he said, police officers have arrested 140 individuals across the city as a result of four long-term investigations.
The largest operation, known as "Zero Tolerance" was in Queens. On Staten Island, police say 30 people were arrested for drugs in New Brighton. A third sting, in the Bronx, netted 23 alleged Bloods gang members involved in drug sales and violence on White Plains Road. In Manhattan, the district attorney is using a drug kingpin statue to prosecute a drug delivery ring in East Harlem. Kelly says the ring operated like a business and even had with business cards and delivery cars to move cocaine and cash.
In the Queens case, the gang division arrested 56 individuals for attempted murder, weapons possession, drug sales and other offenses. Many of those arrested are alleged gang members who plagued Far Rockaway. What started as a narcotics investigation led to arrests in gang-related shootings and other violent crimes.
Narcotics suppliers were reportedly associated with the "Gang of Apes," a faction of the Bloods.
Police executed 16 search warrants and confiscated 12 handguns, six kilos of cocaine and marijuana, a kilo press used to package cocaine, a bullet proof vest and $35,000 in cash.
new york city, manhattan, queens, staten island, bronx, drug bust, new york news
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch 28 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway
- Retired NYPD officer faces charges for allegedly killing wife
- NJ police investigating deadly skydiving accident
- Former boxer Rubin "Hurricane" Carter dies at 76
- Suspect arrested after body found in container
- Flight makes emergency landing with cracked windshield
- Preparations underway for Boston Marathon
- Search underway for missing Queens boy, 11
- Country music singer Kevin Sharp dies at age 43
- Transcript reveals confusion over ferry evacuation
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch
28 min ago