New York News
Driver charged in deadly Queens accident
QUEENSBRIDGE (WABC) -- Police have arrested a Queens man accused of killing a pedestrian while driving illegally.
Police say 29-year-old Apostol Cela was making a left turn onto 40th Avenue in Queensbridge Saturday night when his vehicle struck 46-year-old Evelyn Gonzalez of the Bronx.
The accident happened at 8:20 as Gonzalez attempted to cross the same avenue.
Gonzalez was transported to Mt. Sinai Hospital where she was pronounced dead on arrival.
Police say Cela, who was not injured in the accident, was driving with a suspended license.
Cela has been charged with the unlicensed operation of a vehicle.
new york city, queens, long island city, arrest, accident, new york news
- Stolen passports deepen missing plane mystery
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday 56 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run
- Mayor de Blasio continues to rally for universal Pre-K
- Noise complaint turns into Queens drug bust 16 min ago
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Proposed teacher layoffs in Newark set off dispute
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Matt Harvey aims for 2014 return to Mets
- Melo scores 26, Knicks beat Cavs 107-97
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
56 min ago