New York News
NY ex-teacher sentenced in child porn case
NEW YORK -- A federal judge in New York has sentenced a former teacher and summer camp counselor to six-and-a-half years in prison for viewing child pornography on his home computer.
Judge Kevin Duffy in Manhattan ordered the sentence Monday for 29-year-old John Thomas. Thomas apologized for his crime, saying he was not a monster or a predator. Duffy disagreed, saying he was "in fact a monster" but that he hid it from those close to him.
The Manhattan resident had pleaded guilty in April. Thomas taught fourth and fifth grade students and worked as a summer day camp counselor for the last 13 years. Duffy said the length of the sentence would have been far longer if there was any evidence that he had ever abused a child.
new york city, pornography, new york news
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day care center
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam
- Teen girl shot in leg in Coney Island
- Firefighters battling Bronx car fire find body inside
- NJ woman charged in butt injection death
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn
- Missing Malaysia plane changed course, military says
- Obama, in NYC for fundraising trip, shops at Gap
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos