New York News
NY ex-teacher sentenced in child porn case
NEW YORK -- A federal judge in New York has sentenced a former teacher and summer camp counselor to six-and-a-half years in prison for viewing child pornography on his home computer.
Judge Kevin Duffy in Manhattan ordered the sentence Monday for 29-year-old John Thomas. Thomas apologized for his crime, saying he was not a monster or a predator. Duffy disagreed, saying he was "in fact a monster" but that he hid it from those close to him.
The Manhattan resident had pleaded guilty in April. Thomas taught fourth and fifth grade students and worked as a summer day camp counselor for the last 13 years. Duffy said the length of the sentence would have been far longer if there was any evidence that he had ever abused a child.
new york city, pornography, new york news
- Newark bus crash leaves 9 hurt, 1 critically 53 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead 38 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Photos: Bus, taxi collide in Newark 53 min ago
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach 14 min ago
- Young boy shot in foot in the Bronx
- U.S. Attorney defends arrest of Indian diplomat
- Murder-suicide shooting at NJ nail salon
- LI man arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions jackpot comes forward
- Most Fascinating People of 2013 revealed 47 min ago
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013 48 min ago
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved...
14 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
38 min ago