New York News
2 charged with rape, forcing teen into prostitution
BROOKLYN (WABC) -- Two men are charged with forcing a 13-year-old girl into prostitution in 2003 and continuing to rape, assault and sexually traffic her for the next eight years.
The Brooklyn D.A.'s Office says four men are the monsters at the center of an 8-year long, sex trafficking nightmare.
It reportedly began back in 2003 when two of them; 31-year-old Damien Crooks and 27-year-old Jamali Brockett allegedly raped the then 13-year-old victim in a neighborhood park.
"The two terrorized the child for years. Preventing her from reporting the violence by threatening to harm her family if she told anyone or didn't comply with their demands," Kings County D.A. Charles Hynes said.
The pair is charged with forcing her to have sex for money, beating and repeatedly raping her.
They even were allegedly selling her on the street to passersby for $20 as punishment.
On at least one occasion, Brockett's brother, 33-year-old Jawara, allegedly joined in attacking the young girl on a building rooftop.
On another, 24-year-old Darrell Dula is charged with raping her when she refused to recruit other girls at a party.
The D.A. confirms it wasn't until the victim confided in a trusted college professor, a former prosecutor that she was finally willing to come forward with her horrific story.
"She's a diamond in the rough. She's incredibly smart. She aced my class. And she graduated with high honors. This is a truly remarkable tale," said Jeff Kern, a former prosecutor.
Since last year, when the Brooklyn D.A.'s Office launched a high-profile, anti-sex trafficking campaign that included posters in multiple languages and a 24-hour hotline, 26 alleged sex traffickers are under indictment, none have made bail.
"She was young and by virtue of being young, she was vulnerable and I really do think that any young girl is very susceptible to being a victim of sex trafficking," said Lauren Hersh, the Chief of the Sex Trafficking Unit.
new york city, brooklyn, rape, sexual assault, sex trafficking, new york news, sandra bookman
- 2 killed in motorcycle accident in Queens
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- Teen who was shot at Colorado school dies
- Biker killed in Bronx collision
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China
- GWB repair work will close upper level lanes
- Long Island driver charged with DWI in hit and run
- Target offers discount, free credit monitoring after data breach
- Knicks lose to Grizzlies, 95-87
- Video: Holiday shoppers enjoying warm weather
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall