New York News
2 charged with rape, forcing teen into prostitution
BROOKLYN (WABC) -- Two men are charged with forcing a 13-year-old girl into prostitution in 2003 and continuing to rape, assault and sexually traffic her for the next eight years.
The Brooklyn D.A.'s Office says four men are the monsters at the center of an 8-year long, sex trafficking nightmare.
It reportedly began back in 2003 when two of them; 31-year-old Damien Crooks and 27-year-old Jamali Brockett allegedly raped the then 13-year-old victim in a neighborhood park.
"The two terrorized the child for years. Preventing her from reporting the violence by threatening to harm her family if she told anyone or didn't comply with their demands," Kings County D.A. Charles Hynes said.
The pair is charged with forcing her to have sex for money, beating and repeatedly raping her.
They even were allegedly selling her on the street to passersby for $20 as punishment.
On at least one occasion, Brockett's brother, 33-year-old Jawara, allegedly joined in attacking the young girl on a building rooftop.
On another, 24-year-old Darrell Dula is charged with raping her when she refused to recruit other girls at a party.
The D.A. confirms it wasn't until the victim confided in a trusted college professor, a former prosecutor that she was finally willing to come forward with her horrific story.
"She's a diamond in the rough. She's incredibly smart. She aced my class. And she graduated with high honors. This is a truly remarkable tale," said Jeff Kern, a former prosecutor.
Since last year, when the Brooklyn D.A.'s Office launched a high-profile, anti-sex trafficking campaign that included posters in multiple languages and a 24-hour hotline, 26 alleged sex traffickers are under indictment, none have made bail.
"She was young and by virtue of being young, she was vulnerable and I really do think that any young girl is very susceptible to being a victim of sex trafficking," said Lauren Hersh, the Chief of the Sex Trafficking Unit.
new york city, brooklyn, rape, sexual assault, sex trafficking, new york news, sandra bookman
- Stolen passports deepen missing plane mystery
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Police investigating double shooting in Brooklyn
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run
- Mayor de Blasio continues to rally for universal Pre-K
- Noise complaint turns into Queens drug bust
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Proposed teacher layoffs in Newark set off dispute
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Matt Harvey aims for 2014 return to Mets
- Melo scores 26, Knicks beat Cavs 107-97