New York News
Good Samaritans rescue boy pinned under car
MORNINGSIDE HEIGHTS (WABC) -- A 10-year-old boy was struck and injured by a yellow cab in Morningside Heights Wednesday evening.
Jaden Torres was hit by the taxi while playing on LaSalle Street between Broadway and Amsterdam just after 7:30 p.m. He ended up pinned under a parked car. Initially, people standing around were too scared and stunned to help. That is until two women, both named Sabrina, sprung into action.
"I was afraid, I thought he was dead," Dr. Sabrina Martin said.
As a pediatrician, Dr. Martin knew the boy needed her help. She rushed over and determined he was still alive, barely. She knew the only way to get Torres out alive was to lift the car off him.
Sabrina Johnson and three others mustered all their strength.
"I would have never thought I could lift a car," Johnson said. "You see someone else's child under there, and you see they need attention."
The Good Samaritans were able to lift the car, allowing Torres to be moved to safety.
"We pray that he makes it through and that parents learn to watch their children and not let them play in the street," Johnson said.
The boy is in serious condition, but is expected to survive.
"Thank God for them, I don't think a lot of things would be possible if people weren't around like that," Torres' stepfather Omar Pacheco said. "It shows how much people come together when things of crisis come around."
new york city, morningside heights, child injured, new york news, jen maxfield
- Mother charged with murder in Baby Angel case
- AccuWeather: Brisk And Cold 14 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Thieves target luxury cars in New York area 51 min ago
- Photos: Luxury car theft ring bust in NYC
- De Blasio says family will live in Gracie Mansion
- Photos: A look at Gracie Mansion
- Yonkers family jumps from window to escape fire
- Photos: Family escapes Yonkers fire
- Pope Francis chosen Time's Person of the Year
- Photos: Time's Person of the Year: The unchosen
- Black ice warnings as bitter cold sets in
- Mega Millions jackpot grows to $400 Million
- AccuWeather: Brisk And Cold
14 min ago