New York News
Brooklyn man uncovered security video that led to Aron's arrest
BROOKLYN (WABC) -- After the disappearance of Leiby Kletzky, one man took it upon himself to try to find surveillance video that would eventually lead to the arrest of the alleged killer and the remains of the young boy's body.
The search for Leiby went in several different directions, but one volunteer searcher had a feeling that security cameras might provide the best clues.
"The kid was missing and I said I am going come and help look," said Yaakov German.
That's when German joined several thousand others, mobilizing and started to search for 8-year-old Leiby Kletzky who was last seen leaving his Yashiva, walking by himself for the first time to meet his mother.
"The first cameras at Children's Place and HSBC made my decision that he did not make a right turn, that the whole search for the first 18 hours was going that way," adds German.
Instead Yaakov believed he went straight down 44th street, and got his first clear glimpse of Leiby in video captured by a camera at a locksmith store two blocks later.
"He turned his face. We saw his glasses, his full face and that was it the clearest picture of him," he adds.
Searching for more cameras he ends up at tri-state car rental where not one but two cameras spot Leiby and the suspect Levi Aron.
"We saw a guy coming from the street and he is following him. A few minutes we see him following him again," said German.
That video, police say shows Aron and Leiby following just behind him.
Investigators believe Leiby then got into a car with Aron, never to be seen alive again.
But these clues, coupled with many others led police to Aron and his house and the eventual recovery of Leiby's remains.
For more information on The New York Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children, please visit: NYSPCC.org
leiby kletzky, levi aron, borough park, brooklyn, new york city, murder, crime, new york news, tim fleischer
- Mom 'steals' car - without even realizing it
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club
- N.J. woman charged with trying to kill her 3 children
- Firefighters rescue 80-year-old man from Bronx fire Wednesday...
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital
- 7 dead, 290 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Drugs stashed in hiding places in Manhattan apartments
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos