New York News
A brief heat wave ahead of hotter weather
NEW YORK (WABC) -- People around the New York City area are doing everything they can to cool off after a heat wave his hit the city.
Swimwear selection is one thing 72-year-old Laverne Selby isn't shy about.
She and dozens of parents, grandparents and their kids were in line a half hour before the pool opened at 11 a.m. in Central Park.
They were desperate to cool off.
Lavern Selby says "You can bake an egg on the ground in this weather. It's Africa hot. This 72-year-old woman is getting in that water."
Damon Smith says he didn't even have to ask his kids, Sky and Damon if they wanted to go to the pool the beads of sweat rolling down their faces said it all.
"It's about 100. It's very hot. You have to drink water and keep the kids cool," said Damon.
And Clara Collazo was jealous watching her 8-year-old son Senai bobbing in the water.
The weather is supposed to remain in the 90's for the remainder of this week.
new york city, heat wave, hot weather, new york news, carolina leid
- Missing plane may have turned back 24 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Violence in Bronx leaves 1 dead, 1 injured 47 min ago
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run
- Noise complaint turns into Queens drug bust
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Proposed teacher layoffs in Newark set off dispute
- Spring forward: Clocks turned ahead one hour 1 min ago
- Stage collapses at California high school: 30-40 hurt
- Sen. Rand Paul wins CPAC presidential straw poll 6 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Missing plane may have turned back
24 min ago