New York News
Con Ed: Terawatt hour of power used in heat wave
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Con Edison's New York customers used a terawatt hour, or 1 trillion watt hours of electricity, during the recent four-day heat wave that roasted the metropolitan area.
That's a lot of juice. In fact, it's about the amount of electricity Vermont uses in two months.
The company said usage would have soared even higher if not for customers who responded to calls for conservation or who have taken advantage of Con Edison's energy-efficiency programs.
"We asked our customers to help us out by using energy wisely and they came through for us in a big way," said Craig Ivey, the president of Con Edison. "On behalf of the 14,000 men and women of Con Edison, I thank our customers for their conservation efforts and the patience they showed as we restored the scattered outages."
Demand response programs, which pay large customers to cut back on power usage during heat waves, were credited with reducing peak demand by approximately 500 megawatts on Thursday and Friday.
The company set several other records during the blistering heat wave, including:
??Con Edison's overall electric use peaked at 13,189 megawatts at 4 p.m. last Friday, eclipsing the all-time record of 13,141 megawatts set at 5 p.m. August 2, 2006.
??The company also posted a new peak electric usage record for a weekend day at 3 p.m. on Saturday, when the peak reached 11,533 megawatts, breaking the previous weekend-high mark 11,209 megawatts set at 5 p.m. on July 24, 2010.
Con Edison's crews worked around the clock to restore service to customers in New York City and Westchester County who were affected by scattered outages starting last Thursday, the day the heat wave began. On Saturday, the company had more than 400 crews and 800 workers in the sweltering streets making repairs.
new york city, con ed, heat wave, new york news
- New measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx 50 min ago
- AccuWeather: Gorgeous day, then weather whiplash
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- 1 dead in Midtown fire; Fire truck crash injures 2 5 min ago
- NJ woman charged in butt injection death
- Firefightes battling Bronx car fire find body inside 19 min ago
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn 5 min ago
- Man with stolen passport on jet was asylum seeker
- Obama's surprise turn on 'Between Two Ferns' 10 min ago
- Burger King baby seeks birth mom
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
- 1 dead in Midtown fire; Fire truck crash...
5 min ago
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam...
5 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos