New York News
Man pleads guilty to putting son in oven
STATEN ISLAND (WABC) -- A Staten Island man has pleaded guilty to beating his son, burning his hands on a stove and then stuffing the boy inside the oven.
The incident happened back on May 12, 2010 in Graniteville.
James Moss, 53, was charged with second- and third degree assault, criminal possession of a weapon, unlawful imprisonment and endangering the welfare of a child.
Moss faces up to seven years in state prison under the top two counts.
"In over 15 years as a district attorney and an assistant district attorney, this was one of the most shocking and sadistic cases of child abuse I have ever prosecuted," Richmond County district attorney Daniel Donovan said.
Moss alleged that his 9-year-son stole $20 from his wallet on the day of the incident.
Moss, who stands 6-foot-2 and weighs more than 270 pounds, first threatened to kill his small son, then brought the boy to the basement and stripped off all of his clothes.
He then dragged the naked boy to the kitchen, where he beat him on the back with a spatula.
After heating two burners on the stovetop, he forced the boy's hands on the burners and held them there until some of the charred skin began to peel off.
He then punched the boy in the face and shoved him into the oven.
Despite his son screaming and pleading to be let out, Moss held the oven door shut and threatened to turn it on.
He finally let the boy out and threw him, still naked, outside the front door.
The boy was eventually allowed back inside the house, but forced to sit on the floor, naked and crying, until his mother came home and took him to the hospital.
The boy was treated at the hospital for second and third-degree burns and abrasions on his back and knees.
new york city, staten island, child abuse, child injured, new york news
- Young boy shot in foot in the Bronx 47 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Murder-suicide shooting at NJ nail salon
- Water line floods three Midtown building basements
- Jersey City water main break isolated; Water back on
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky 54 min ago
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions jackpot comes forward
- LI man arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults 54 min ago
- Photos: Massive car pileup on Gowanus Expressway
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest
- Blind man and dog rescued will stay together
- Young boy shot in foot in the Bronx
47 min ago
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky
54 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos