New York News
2 men allegedly burn down home in drunken rage
QUEENS (WABC) -- Officials believe revenge is to blame for an all-hands fire on Liberty Avenue this summer that left an elderly couple hospitalized, two firefighters injured and two young men now under arrest.
The boarded up building with a store on the bottom and apartments on top now stands as a charred and graphic reminder of how horribly things can go wrong.
Officials Tuesday announced the arrests of 23-year-old Imran Ali and 21-year-old Devindra Ramnaryan.
Both men are from Queens.
Fire marshals believe the two deliberately set the building on fire back on July 23rd, almost killing an innocent elderly couple asleep in one of the upstairs apartments.
Authorities say the two men were out clubbing that night and thought rocks had been thrown at them from a nearby rooftop.
So, they allegedly broke into the building and set the second floor ablaze.
The innocent people inside would pay dearly.
The elderly couple was seriously injured and burned out of their home.
Eyewitness News was told Devondra Ramnaryan fled the country shortly after the arson attack but was arrested Monday when he returned to New York.
Imran Ali has since posted bail and his neighbor defended Ali's innocence.
Investigators credit surveillance cameras for helping them track down the two men who now stand accused of arson, attempted murder, assault, burglary and reckless endangerment.
new york city, queens, arson, fire, new york news, lucy yang
- At least 2 dead, 18 hurt in East Harlem explosion 1 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: East Harlem explosion 4 min ago
- Metro-North service changes due to East Harlem explosion 53 min ago
- LI hospital warns of possible blood contamination
- Crime down across New York City, except in parks
- New Jersey bank robber caught after forgetting keys
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- No winner: Mega Millions jackpot surges to $353 million
- Happy Birthday! Idea that spawned internet turns 25
- Co. carjacking suspect arrested after rush hour chase 57 min ago
- Photos: Incredible images from Colorado car chase 57 min ago