New York News
10 families rented the same Queens apt
QUEENS, N.Y. (WABC) -- Imagine you've rented an apartment, you're about to move in and you show up at the home, only to find out that you're not alone.
Leases in hand, each of the women thought that she alone rented this first floor apartment on 127th street and each one was about to move in.
The landlord kept delaying their move-in dates. Frustrated, Nurija Beharovic showed up. She couldn't find the owner. Instead, she found someone just like her.
"Are you here for renting or something? She said, 'yeah', I rented this apartment. I said, which apartment? She pointed to the first floor window and I said no, I rented this apartment. Then we started comparing leases and had the same guy's name," Nurija said.
The man's name is Shahab Khan, and also sometimes goes by the name Shahab "Roy" Khan on these leases.
The women say they each gave khan a 2 to 3 thousand dollar deposit. As move-in day approached, he started putting them off. A power outage had delayed home improvements. And worse, he told the tenants that his wife had fallen down the stairs and lost their baby. This, the tenants found out, was a lie.
Now, outside the home, these would-be renters say they know of 10 families who had rented this apartment at the same time.
After speaking to khan via phone, he called "this" a misunderstanding. Claiming that he explained the leases were contingent upon background and credit checks.
"No", Khan said, "as long as I get the money, it's fine."
Now, these women want their money back.
Khan says he'll refund every cent Thursday. The women say he's told them that, too, but then again, he's told them a couple of stories.
new york city, queens, real estate, new york news, jamie roth
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy
- Man found shot to death in Bronx apartment
- Noise complaint turns into Queens drug bust
- Crash on Garden State Parkway leaves 1 dead, 2 hurt
- Liam Neeson to tour stables in NYC carriage horse debate 49 min ago
- Sen. Rand Paul wins CPAC presidential straw poll
- Viewpoint on WABC-TV
- Here and Now
- Tiempo on WABC-TV
- Up Close with Diana Williams